sysinfo task

Dominik Guder
Hi Folks,

while setting up the CI for Nant we discovered an issue with sysinfo
task on 64bit systems.

On 64bit systems there are some environment variables which contains
parentheses like *ProgramFiles(x86)* or *CommonProgramFiles(x86)*.
This are invalid property names which cause the sysinfo tasks to fail.

What to do now:
For a short slution we could
a) add *failonerror="false"* to all sysinfo test so all test will be
green again. (error in docu)
b) replace any parentheses in env.name with underscores and put this
into docu.

With a) any env.property with parentheses will be droped and could not
be used.

So I would like to go with b) since the properties could be used.
In addition docu states that function *environment::get-variable()*
should be used to retrieve env variables. So I think this won't affect a
lot of users.

For a later solution we should check whether the property name
validation should be moved to property task itself and not done in
propertylist. Since someone could create an invalid property name
without using any propertylist like <sysinfo> task.

--
The answer to the great question of life,
the universe and everything is 42 (Douglas Adams)

Re: sysinfo task

Dominik Guder

> On 64bit systems there are some environment variables which contains
> parentheses like *ProgramFiles(x86)* or *CommonProgramFiles(x86)*.
> This are invalid property names which cause the sysinfo tasks to fail.
>
> b) replace any parentheses in env.name with underscores and put this
> into docu.

> So I would like to go with b) since the properties could be used.
> In addition docu states that function *environment::get-variable()*
> should be used to retrieve env variables. So I think this won't affect a
> lot of users.

Ok, I did some checks and will add some patches for discussion.
(text in [[[ ]]] might be used for commit message as seen at svn mailing
list)

[[[
fix incorrect definition of "failonerror" in <sysinfo> docu.
]]]
sysinfo-task-docu-error.patch

sysinfo-replace-propname.patch:
this is a first implementation to replace "sys.env.ProgramFiles(x86)"
with "sys.env.ProgramFiles_x86_"
There is still the docu change missing. But I will provide this when we
are going this way.

Result:
--- snip ---
   [sysinfo] sys.env.ProgramFiles = C:\Programme
   [sysinfo] sys.env.ProgramFiles_x86_ = C:\Programme
--- snap ---

[[[
sort sysinfo properties when using verbose="true"
]]]
sysinfo-verbose-sorted.patch:

This patch will output properties on sorted order in verbose. I found
that I need to search more than I like to find my replaced property
without this sorting

So far Dominik

--
The answer to the great question of life,
the universe and everything is 42 (Douglas Adams)

sysinfo-task-docu-error.patch (719 bytes) Download Attachment
sysinfo-replace-propname.patch (1K) Download Attachment
sysinfo-verbose-sorted.patch Download Attachment

Re: sysinfo task

Ryan Boggs-2
Hi,

On Mar 25, 2010, at 3:34 AM, Dominik Guder <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 64bit systems there are some environment variables which contains
>> parentheses like *ProgramFiles(x86)* or *CommonProgramFiles(x86)*.
>> This are invalid property names which cause the sysinfo tasks to
>> fail.
>>
>> b) replace any parentheses in env.name with underscores and put this
>> into docu.
>
>> So I would like to go with b) since the properties could be used.
>> In addition docu states that function *environment::get-variable()*
>> should be used to retrieve env variables. So I think this won't
>> affect a
>> lot of users.
>>

> Ok, I did some checks and will add some patches for discussion.
> (text in [[[ ]]] might be used for commit message as seen at svn
> mailing list)
>
> [[[
> fix incorrect definition of "failonerror" in <sysinfo> docu.
> ]]]
> sysinfo-task-docu-error.patch
>

> sysinfo-replace-propname.patch:
> this is a first implementation to replace "sys.env.ProgramFiles
> (x86)" with "sys.env.ProgramFiles_x86_"
> There is still the docu change missing. But I will provide this when
> we are going this way.

Are we sure that we want to alter env var names like this?  Wouldn't
it be better to allow parenthesis in the var names? I can just see
this causing confusion when a user is looking for an altered var name.

> Result:
> --- snip ---
>  [sysinfo] sys.env.ProgramFiles = C:\Programme
>  [sysinfo] sys.env.ProgramFiles_x86_ = C:\Programme
> --- snap ---
>

> [[[
> sort sysinfo properties when using verbose="true"
> ]]]
> sysinfo-verbose-sorted.patch:
>
> This patch will output properties on sorted order in verbose. I
> found that I need to search more than I like to find my replaced
> property without this sorting

This makes sense to me.

> So far Dominik
>
> --
> The answer to the great question of life,
> the universe and everything is 42 (Douglas Adams)
> <sysinfo-task-docu-error.patch>
> <sysinfo-replace-propname.patch>
> <sysinfo-verbose-sorted.patch>
> ---
> ---
> ---

Ryan

Re: sysinfo task

drieseng
Administrator
Ryan,

We cannot allow parenthesis in property names, as that would screw up our
expression tokenizer.
I'm more enclined to a machanism that allows explicit control over the
property names that a given environment variable is mapped to.
Something similar to the file mappers in Ant would be great.

Gert

> On Mar 25, 2010, at 3:34 AM, Dominik Guder <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>> On 64bit systems there are some environment variables which contains
>>> parentheses like *ProgramFiles(x86)* or *CommonProgramFiles(x86)*.
>>> This are invalid property names which cause the sysinfo tasks to
>>> fail.
>>>
>>> b) replace any parentheses in env.name with underscores and put this
>>> into docu.
>>
>>> So I would like to go with b) since the properties could be used.
>>> In addition docu states that function *environment::get-variable()*
>>> should be used to retrieve env variables. So I think this won't
>>> affect a
>>> lot of users.
>>>

>> Ok, I did some checks and will add some patches for discussion.
>> (text in [[[ ]]] might be used for commit message as seen at svn
>> mailing list)
>>
>> [[[
>> fix incorrect definition of "failonerror" in <sysinfo> docu.
>> ]]]
>> sysinfo-task-docu-error.patch
>>

>> sysinfo-replace-propname.patch:
>> this is a first implementation to replace "sys.env.ProgramFiles
>> (x86)" with "sys.env.ProgramFiles_x86_"
>> There is still the docu change missing. But I will provide this when
>> we are going this way.
>>
> Are we sure that we want to alter env var names like this?  Wouldn't
> it be better to allow parenthesis in the var names? I can just see
> this causing confusion when a user is looking for an altered var name.
>
>> Result:
>> --- snip ---
>>  [sysinfo] sys.env.ProgramFiles = C:\Programme
>>  [sysinfo] sys.env.ProgramFiles_x86_ = C:\Programme
>> --- snap ---
>>

>> [[[
>> sort sysinfo properties when using verbose="true"
>> ]]]
>> sysinfo-verbose-sorted.patch:
>>
>> This patch will output properties on sorted order in verbose. I
>> found that I need to search more than I like to find my replaced
>> property without this sorting
>>
> This makes sense to me.
>
>> So far Dominik
>>
>> --
>> The answer to the great question of life,
>> the universe and everything is 42 (Douglas Adams)
>> <sysinfo-task-docu-error.patch>
>> <sysinfo-replace-propname.patch>
>> <sysinfo-verbose-sorted.patch>
>> ---
>> ---
>> ---
>
> Thanks,
> Ryan

Re: sysinfo task

Ryan Boggs-2
Hi,

On Mar 25, 2010, at 8:10 AM, "Gert Driesen" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Ryan,
>
> We cannot allow parenthesis in property names, as that would screw
> up our expression tokenizer.
> I'm more enclined to a machanism that allows explicit control over
> the property names that a given environment variable is mapped to.
> Something similar to the file mappers in Ant would be great.

If I understand you correctly, are you referring to something like:

<sysinfo>
   <mapper type="glob" from="*(* to="*_*" />
</sysinfo>

Am I understanding you right?

Thanks,
Ryan

> Gert

Re: sysinfo task

drieseng
Administrator

> On Mar 25, 2010, at 8:10 AM, "Gert Driesen" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Ryan,
>>
>> We cannot allow parenthesis in property names, as that would screw
>> up our expression tokenizer.
>> I'm more enclined to a machanism that allows explicit control over
>> the property names that a given environment variable is mapped to.
>> Something similar to the file mappers in Ant would be great.
>>
> If I understand you correctly, are you referring to something like:
>
> <sysinfo>
>   <mapper type="glob" from="*(* to="*_*" />
> </sysinfo>
>
> Am I understanding you right?

Yes.

Gert

Re: sysinfo task

Ryan Boggs-2
Hi

Ok, makes sense to me.  My only concern with this is the time table.
Is it worth putting in 0.90 or should it target the future 1.0 release?

Thanks,
Ryan

On Mar 25, 2010, at 8:54 AM, "Gert Driesen" <[hidden email]>

> [...]

Re: sysinfo task

drieseng
Administrator
Hi Ryan,

I guess it won't make it in time for the 0.90 release.
Personally, I even consider the sysinfo task deprecated.

Gert

> Ok, makes sense to me.  My only concern with this is the time table.
> Is it worth putting in 0.90 or should it target the future 1.0 release?
>
> Thanks,
> Ryan
>
> On Mar 25, 2010, at 8:54 AM, "Gert Driesen" <[hidden email]>

Re: sysinfo task

Dominik Guder
Am 25.03.2010 17:12, schrieb Gert Driesen:

> Hi Ryan,
>
> I guess it won't make it in time for the 0.90 release.
> Personally, I even consider the sysinfo task deprecated.

Hi,

sorry, I did not write that I checked the parens handling in
properties and found out that the parser will fail. The mapper solution
looks good but as Gert stated <sysinfo> is kind of deprecated. So we
might not put to much effort into it.

Another point which needs attantion (propably for 1.0) is that I was
able to define a property with parens without getting an exception at
definition time. More detail later.

First of all I want to get these tests green for 0.90 release.
My proposal:
- add "failonerror='true'" to all existing tests
- add a new test which throws BuildException for
"Environment.ProgramFiles(64)"
- fix docu
- sort output

What do you think?

Regards Dominik

On Mar 26, 2010, at 2:07 AM, Dominik Guder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 25.03.2010 17:12, schrieb Gert Driesen:
>> Hi Ryan,
>>
>> I guess it won't make it in time for the 0.90 release.
>> Personally, I even consider the sysinfo task deprecated.

> Hi,
>
> sorry, I did not write that I checked the parens handling in
> properties and found out that the parser will fail. The mapper
> solution
> looks good but as Gert stated <sysinfo> is kind of deprecated. So we
> might not put to much effort into it.

Does anyone know if <sysinfo> was replaced by anything?  This would be
good to know.

> Another point which needs attantion (propably for 1.0) is that I was
> able to define a property with parens without getting an exception at
> definition time. More detail later.

Can you provide an example when you get a moment? I would like to look
into this.

> First of all I want to get these tests green for 0.90 release.
> My proposal:
> - add "failonerror='true'" to all existing tests
> - add a new test which throws BuildException for
> "Environment.ProgramFiles(64)"
> - fix docu
> - sort output
>
> What do you think?

I like it.

> Regards Dominik
>
> --
> The answer to the great question of life,
> the universe and everything is 42 (Douglas Adams)
>
> ---
> ---
> ---

Ryan

Re: sysinfo task

drieseng
Administrator
Hey Ryan,

Check the docs of the <sysinfo> task.
Note that it's not officially deprecated, so I'd still fix any issues.

Gert

> [...]

> sorry, I did not write that I checked the parens handling in
> properties and found out that the parser will fail. The mapper
> solution
> looks good but as Gert stated <sysinfo> is kind of deprecated. So we
> might not put to much effort into it.

Does anyone know if <sysinfo> was replaced by anything?  This would be
good to know.

> Another point which needs attantion (propably for 1.0) is that I was
> able to define a property with parens without getting an exception at
> definition time. More detail later.

Can you provide an example when you get a moment? I would like to look
into this.

> First of all I want to get these tests green for 0.90 release.
> My proposal:
> - add "failonerror='true'" to all existing tests
> - add a new test which throws BuildException for

I like it.

> Regards Dominik
>
> --
> The answer to the great question of life,
> the universe and everything is 42 (Douglas Adams)
>
> ---
> ---
> ---

Ryan

21:50:00

Re: sysinfo task

Ryan Boggs-2
Hi,

On Mar 26, 2010, at 11:38 AM, "Gert Driesen" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hey Ryan,
>
> Check the docs of the <sysinfo> task.
> Note that its not officially deprecated, so I'd still fix any issues.

Oh, I know. But if the decision to depreciate <sysinfo> ever occurs,
it would be good to know that there is a good/better alternative for it.

I think everyone agrees that a Mapper-like task would be a good fix
for it. But it will probably have to wait 1.0.  Dominik proposed a
good temporary workaround in the meantim for TC.

Thank,
Ryan