VS2010 devenv command from NAnt fails

Bhavani Kapparmath

Hello All,

We are facing issue with building VS2010 from NAnt. Below are the details:

·         We migrated our project from Visual studio 2005 to Visual studio 2010.

·         Post migration, we are seeing build issue in the build server machine. Details are below.

·         Win 7 Professional SP1 versioned OS build machine is setup with Cruise control and NAnt script for automated builds with devenv.

·         Building with VS 2010 causes a number of projects to start but do not finish.

The only message appears in the log ( which is generated by /log switch of devenv command) is :

----Rebuild All started:Project:DWRAPPER, Configuration:BuildWithPortalSVC Win 32-

----Rebuild All started:Project:XYZ, Configuration:BuildWithPortalSVC Win 32---

·         Count of project failure like above is not the same for every build.

·         Building the project(solution file) in IDE is fine and also from the Command line with devenv.

·         Here is the command in Nant.

 <exec program="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv" verbose = "true">
               <arg line="${SolutionFile} /rebuild BuildTwinWithPortalSvc /out ${BuildLog}"/>
            </exec>

We are stuck here now. there is no other error message that helps to find out what is happening during build of VS 2010 with NAnt. Why is the build failing with the above error message?

I am using NAnt 0.92. Also tried with nant-0.91-alpha2. Same results.

Seems in Win XP machine the issue is not seen.

Should I attached log file in the mail? Please let me know.

Kind regards,

Bhavani Kapparmath.

Tel # +91 080 6624 3452

The information contained in this email has been classified:

(  )  Larsen & Toubro Limited  -  General Business

(X) Larsen &Toubro  Limited  -   Internal Use

(  )  Larsen &Toubro  Limited  -  Confidential

(  )  Larsen & Toubro Limited  -  Proprietary

Larsen & Toubro Limited

www.larsentoubro.com

This Email may contain confidential or privileged information for the intended recipient (s). If you are not the intended recipient, please do not use or disseminate the information, notify the sender and delete it from your system.

Re: VS2010 devenv command from NAnt fails

Bevan Arps
Two suggestions.

Firstly, are you executing devenv.com or devenv.exe ? When I have needed to use the last resort of executing VS directly, using devenv.com has been far more reliable than devenv.exe.

Secondly, have you considered using MSBuild? Unless you’re doing something not supported by MSBuild (like a .vdproj msi deployment project), MSBuild can be a more reliable choice.

Hope this helps,
Bevan.

Sent from Windows Mail

Re: VS2010 devenv command from NAnt fails

Bhavani Kapparmath

Hi Bevan,

Thank you for the quick response.

I was using just devenv. Later changed to devenv.exe. Same failure results.

You want me to try devenv.com?

We are not using MSbuild, since we have one setup project(deployment project).

Kind regards,

Bhavani Kapparmath.

Tel # +91 080 6624 3452

The information contained in this email has been classified:

(  )  Larsen & Toubro Limited  -  General Business

(X) Larsen &Toubro  Limited  -   Internal Use

(  )  Larsen &Toubro  Limited  -  Confidential

(  )  Larsen & Toubro Limited  -  Proprietary

Re: VS2010 devenv command from NAnt fails

Bhavani Kapparmath

Hi Nikil,

Thank you for the quick response.

I cannot use MSBuild because, we have one setup project.

As an other note :

Is this below command fine to execute MSBuild within nant build script?

<property name="MSBuildPath" value="C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\MSBuild.exe"/>

<target name="build-twin" description="Build TWin targets">

          <exec program="${MSBuildPath}">

            <arg line="${SolutionFile} /t:rebuild /p:Configuration=${TWinConfiguration} /fl" />

        </exec>

</target>

Kind regards,

Bhavani Kapparmath.

Tel # +91 080 6624 3452

The information contained in this email has been classified:

(  )  Larsen & Toubro Limited  -  General Business

(X) Larsen &Toubro  Limited  -   Internal Use

(  )  Larsen &Toubro  Limited  -  Confidential

(  )  Larsen & Toubro Limited  -  Proprietary

Re: VS2010 devenv command from NAnt fails

Bevan Arps
As I recall (it's been a while), devenv.exe is what you run for an interactive session, devenv.com for batch processing.

Some background. If you don't specify an extension, the shell looks for possible programs to run by trying various extensions. I #think# it uses this order: bat, cmd, exe, com. So specifying "devenv" works just like "devenv.exe".

Keep smiling
Bevan

Re: VS2010 devenv command from NAnt fails

Bhavani Kapparmath

Ok, I will update nant script to have devenv.com.

Ultimately, my resolution has to work on build server machine which uses CC.net + Nant for automated builds.

Without CC.net I replicated the same issue by running NAnt in the command line. So was trying to resolve it in my local machine first and then update the script  in the build machine.

Last one question: When I ran Nant using devenv.com in the script from the commandline, the output is shown on the console. How do I avoid it?

Does this has an effect when I trigger build from the Cruise control which invokes NaNt to build VS2010 projects?

Kind regards,

Bhavani Kapparmath.

Tel # +91 080 6624 3452

The information contained in this email has been classified:

(  )  Larsen & Toubro Limited  -  General Business

(X) Larsen &Toubro  Limited  -   Internal Use

(  )  Larsen &Toubro  Limited  -  Confidential

(  )  Larsen & Toubro Limited  -  Proprietary

Re: VS2010 devenv command from NAnt fails

Nikhil Gupta

This looks correct. You can also use msbuild task from nantcontrib, if you are using that.

Unfortunately,  I've never had a deployment project with in so have no clue on that. Bevan's clue might help.

On May 24, 2013 3:13 PM, "Bhavani Kapparmath" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Nikil,

[...]

Looks like devenv.com resolved thee issue.
Befor i posted this issue, i used this devenv.com as a last try to resolv the issue.
Your reply on the same  confirmed it more n gave me more confidence on the fix.
What i m not sure is devenv failed always, but devenv.com resolved. Any idea here?

Thank yu so much

________________________________

Re: VS2010 devenv command from NAnt fails

Bevan Arps
Devenv.Com is designed for use for batch automation; Devenv.Exe is how the interactive IDE is launched.

From MSDN:
The devenv.com utility provides for the delivery of output through standard system streams, such as stdout and stderr, and determines the appropriate I/O redirection when it captures output, for example, to a .txt file.

I never tried to automate Visual Studio 2005, so it’s possible that using devenv.EXE worked just fine for that version; for later versions, it doesn’t.

One last thought: Deployment projects are deprecated in Visual Studio 2010 - and they’re not supported at all by Visual Studio 2012. I’d suggest that you add some tasks to your product backlog (or equivalent) to migrate away from .vdproj projects (I’d recommend moving to WiX); once that’s complete, you’ll be able to move the rest of your builds to MSBuild and leverage it’s speed and reliability.

Cheers,
Bevan.

Sent from Windows Mail

Re: VS2010 devenv command from NAnt fails

Bhavani Kapparmath

Hi Bevan,

After VS2010 build is successful using Nant, I could see whole lot of warning messages are being displayed/shown in the mail (which is not good) that is sent from CC.net after build ends.

This was not the case earlier with devenv.exe.

Any idea here? Any thread that has already discussed on this?

Kind regards,

K BBhavani.

Tel # +91 080 6624 3452

The information contained in this email has been classified:

(  )  Larsen & Toubro Limited  -  General Business

(X) Larsen &Toubro  Limited  -   Internal Use

(  )  Larsen &Toubro  Limited  -  Confidential

(  )  Larsen & Toubro Limited  -  Proprietary

Re: VS2010 devenv command from NAnt fails

Bevan Arps
Hi Bhavani

I suspect that you'll find those errors are the same as those you see during an interactive compile.

If you really want to suppress them (I'd put my effort into fixing the underlying code so it is warning free), redirect the command line output of devenv.com. The Nant exec task has an attribute for this.

Keep smiling
Bevan.

Re: VS2010 devenv command from NAnt fails

Bhavani Kapparmath

Hi Bevan,

Yes, I did re-direct the command line output to a log file, now the build notification emails does not have warnings or errors displayed. Thank you.

Kind regards,

K Bbhavani.

Tel # +91 080 3084 2049