Nant 0.90 Problem with C# Script

Simon H-2
Hi guys,

I have a C# script within my NAnt script that works perfectly in NAnt 0.85. It imports the namespace System.Text.RegularExpressions for the purposes of testing user input. However, when I try to run my build file using NAnt 0.90 I get an error (see below). I have noted that NAnt 0.85 targetted the .NET 2.0 framework by default whereas NAnt 0.90 targets .NET 3.5 framework. However, I have tried running the build file after changing the default framework to .NET 2.0 and still get the same error. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Compilation failed:
c:\Documents and Settings\xxx\Local Settings\Temp\amfegm-q.0.cs(18,19) : error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'RegularExpressions' does not exist in the namespace 'System.Text' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

//------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// <auto-generated>
//     This code was generated by a tool.
//     Runtime Version:2.0.50727.1433
//
//     Changes to this file may cause incorrect behavior and will be lost if
//     the code is regenerated.
// </auto-generated>
//------------------------------------------------------------------------------

using NAnt.Core;
using NAnt.Core.Attributes;
using System;
using System.Collections;
using System.Diagnostics;
using System.IO;
using System.Text;
using System.Text.RegularExpressions;

Looking for a hot date? View photos of singles in your area!

Re: Nant 0.90 Problem with C# Script

Ryan Boggs-2
Hey Simon,

If I remember correctly, System.Text.RegularExpressions namespace is
no longer imported in script by default anymore.  You probably need to
include the namespace manually but I can say for certain since I don't
know what's in your NAnt script.

Try adding this to your script tag:

<imports>
        <import namespace="System.Text.RegularExpressions" />
</imports>

Hope this helps,

Thanks,
Ryan

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Simon H <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I have a C# script within my NAnt script that works perfectly in NAnt 0.85.
> It imports the namespace System.Text.RegularExpressions for the purposes of
> testing user input. However, when I try to run my build file using NAnt 0.90
> I get an error (see below). I have noted that NAnt 0.85 targetted the .NET
> 2.0 framework by default whereas NAnt 0.90 targets .NET 3.5 framework.
> However, I have tried running the build file after changing the default
> framework to .NET 2.0 and still get the same error. Any ideas? Thanks in
> advance!
>
> Compilation failed:
> c:\Documents and Settings\xxx\Local Settings\Temp\amfegm-q.0.cs(18,19) :
> error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'RegularExpressions' does not exist
> in the namespace 'System.Text' (are you missing an assembly reference?)
>
> //------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> // <auto-generated>
> //     This code was generated by a tool.
> //     Runtime Version:2.0.50727.1433
> //
> //     Changes to this file may cause incorrect behavior and will be lost if
> //     the code is regenerated.
> // </auto-generated>
> //------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> using NAnt.Core;
> using NAnt.Core.Attributes;
> using System;
> using System.Collections;
> using System.Diagnostics;
> using System.IO;
> using System.Text;
> using System.Text.RegularExpressions;

Re: Nant 0.90 Problem with C# Script

Simon H-2
Hi Ryan

Yes, I already have the <imports> tag content you specified.

> Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 21:38:33 -0700
> Subject: Re: [NAnt-users] Nant 0.90 Problem with C# Script
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email]
>
> Hey Simon,
>
> If I remember correctly, System.Text.RegularExpressions namespace is
> no longer imported in script by default anymore. You probably need to
> include the namespace manually but I can say for certain since I don't
> know what's in your NAnt script.
>
> Try adding this to your script tag:
>
> <imports>
> <import namespace="System.Text.RegularExpressions" />
> </imports>
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Thanks,
> Ryan
>
> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Simon H <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I have a C# script within my NAnt script that works perfectly in NAnt 0.85.
> > It imports the namespace System.Text.RegularExpressions for the purposes of
> > testing user input. However, when I try to run my build file using NAnt 0.90
> > I get an error (see below). I have noted that NAnt 0.85 targetted the .NET
> > 2.0 framework by default whereas NAnt 0.90 targets .NET 3.5 framework.
> > However, I have tried running the build file after changing the default
> > framework to .NET 2.0 and still get the same error. Any ideas? Thanks in
> > advance!
> >
> > Compilation failed:
> > c:\Documents and Settings\xxx\Local Settings\Temp\amfegm-q.0.cs(18,19) :
> > error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'RegularExpressions' does not exist
> > in the namespace 'System.Text' (are you missing an assembly reference?)
> >
> > //------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > // <auto-generated>
> > //     This code was generated by a tool.
> > //     Runtime Version:2.0.50727.1433
> > //
> > //     Changes to this file may cause incorrect behavior and will be lost if
> > //     the code is regenerated.
> > // </auto-generated>
> > //------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > using NAnt.Core;
> > using NAnt.Core.Attributes;
> > using System;
> > using System.Collections;
> > using System.Diagnostics;
> > using System.IO;
> > using System.Text;
> > using System.Text.RegularExpressions;

Find it on Domain.com.au Need a new place to live?

Re: Nant 0.90 Problem with C# Script

drieseng
Administrator
Hey Simon,

This is due to a (breaking) change in 0.90 (more specifically, 0.90 alpha
1).
You need to explicitly add a reference to the System assembly.

<references>
        <include name="System.dll" />
</references>

Gert

----

----

> using NAnt.Core;
> using NAnt.Core.Attributes;
> using System;
> using System.Collections;
> using System.Diagnostics;
> using System.IO;
> using System.Text;
> using System.Text.RegularExpressions;

20:26:00

Re: Nant 0.90 Problem with C# Script

Ron Grabowski
Out of curiosity, why was this changed? Doesn't VS include System.dll by default?

----

> using NAnt.Core;
> using NAnt.Core.Attributes;
> using System;
> using System.Collections;
> using System.Diagnostics;
> using System.IO;
> using System.Text;
> using System.Text.RegularExpressions;

Re: Nant 0.90 Problem with C# Script

drieseng
Administrator
Ron,

This was done to improve portability and readability of build scripts.
I prefer to give users more control (in this case over the assemblies they
want to reference in scripts).
If this change is causing too much trouble, we can always reconsider.

Gert

----

> using NAnt.Core;
> using NAnt.Core.Attributes;
> using System;
> using System.Collections;
> using System.Diagnostics;
> using System.IO;
> using System.Text;
> using System.Text.RegularExpressions;

20:26:00

Re: Nant 0.90 Problem with C# Script

Bob Archer
What can you code without System.dll? Doesn't that have all the base types... or are those in mscorlib?

BOb

> Ron,
>
> This was done to improve portability and readability of build scripts.
> I prefer to give users more control (in this case over the assemblies they
> want to reference in scripts).
> If this change is causing too much trouble, we can always reconsider.
>
> Gert

Bob,

These are indeed in mscorlib, which is referenced by default.

Gert

What can you code without System.dll? Doesn't that have all the base
types... or are those in mscorlib?

BOb

> Ron,
>
> This was done to improve portability and readability of build scripts.
> I prefer to give users more control (in this case over the assemblies they
> want to reference in scripts).
> If this change is causing too much trouble, we can always reconsider.
>
> Gert

20:26:00