Force use of original .Net 4.0 when .Net 4.5 is installed

Force use of original .Net 4.0 when .Net 4.5 is installed

Oskar Berggren
Hi,

.Net 4.5 is an inplace upgrade for .Net 4.0. If you want to ensure that your software runs on a machine with only the original .Net 4.0 installed, you need to take care when building, so that you don't cause dependencies on .Net 4.5 versions of the assemblies.

This thread discuss the issue and there is a proposed solution that involves editing nant.exe.config to avoid referencing updated assemblies found under C:\Windows\...:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11991383/nant-build-using-net-4-5-beta-assembly-references-despite-specifying-net-4-0

What are the nant developers' take on this? Is the solution on stack overflow the way to go? If so, should this be regarded as a bug in nant? It doesn't seem "proper" to edit nant.exe.config in a runtime installation.

/Oskar

Re: Force use of original .Net 4.0 when .Net 4.5 is installed

Dominik Guder
Hi,

the develelopers are taking a look. From my point of view I want to
check the proper usage of "Referenced Assemblies" folder.
Maybe someone can point me to some detail information in MSDN or some
where else.

So far Dominik

Am 27.10.2012 19:57, schrieb Oskar Berggren:

> Hi,
>
> .Net 4.5 is an inplace upgrade for .Net 4.0. If you want to ensure that
> your software runs on a machine with only the original .Net 4.0
> installed, you need to take care when building, so that you don't cause
> dependencies on .Net 4.5 versions of the assemblies.
>
> This thread discuss the issue and there is a proposed solution that
> involves editing nant.exe.config to avoid referencing updated assemblies
> found under C:\Windows\...:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11991383/nant-build-using-net-4-5-beta-assembly-references-despite-specifying-net-4-0
>
> What are the nant developers' take on this? Is the solution on stack
> overflow the way to go? If so, should this be regarded as a bug in nant?
> It doesn't seem "proper" to edit nant.exe.config in a runtime installation.
>

> /Oskar

> WINDOWS 8 is here.
> Millions of people.  Your app in 30 days.
> Visit The Windows 8 Center at Sourceforge for all your go to resources.
> http://windows8center.sourceforge.net/
> join-generation-app-and-make-money-coding-fast/

The answer to the great question of life,
the universe and everything is 42 (Douglas Adams)

Re: Force use of original .Net 4.0 when .Net 4.5 is installed

Oskar Berggren
Thanks Dominik,

Here's some more information I've discovered:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/msbuild/archive/2007/04/12/new-reference-assemblies-location.aspx

I suspect a possible complication would be that the reference assemblies seems to be installed by the SDK or visual studio, and thus not available if either of these are not installed.

/Oskar

2012/10/28 Dominik Guder <[hidden email]>
Hi,

the develelopers are taking a look. From my point of view I want to
check the proper usage of "Referenced Assemblies" folder.
Maybe someone can point me to some detail information in MSDN or some
where else.

So far Dominik

Am 27.10.2012 19:57, schrieb Oskar Berggren:
> Hi,
>
> .Net 4.5 is an inplace upgrade for .Net 4.0. If you want to ensure that
> your software runs on a machine with only the original .Net 4.0
> installed, you need to take care when building, so that you don't cause
> dependencies on .Net 4.5 versions of the assemblies.
>
> This thread discuss the issue and there is a proposed solution that
> involves editing nant.exe.config to avoid referencing updated assemblies
> found under C:\Windows\...:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11991383/nant-build-using-net-4-5-beta-assembly-references-despite-specifying-net-4-0
>
> What are the nant developers' take on this? Is the solution on stack
> overflow the way to go? If so, should this be regarded as a bug in nant?
> It doesn't seem "proper" to edit nant.exe.config in a runtime installation.
>

> /Oskar

> WINDOWS 8 is here.
> Millions of people.  Your app in 30 days.
> Visit The Windows 8 Center at Sourceforge for all your go to resources.
> http://windows8center.sourceforge.net/
> join-generation-app-and-make-money-coding-fast/

The answer to the great question of life,
the universe and everything is 42 (Douglas Adams)

Re: Force use of original .Net 4.0 when .Net 4.5 is installed

Dominik Guder
Hi Oskar,

thanks for this link.
I will check this and try to find a solution.

So far Dominik

--
The answer to the great question of life,
the universe and everything is 42 (Douglas Adams)

Re: Force use of original .Net 4.0 when .Net 4.5 is installed

Dominik Guder
Hi Oskar,

do you have a github account? If so then it would be nice if you add
your issue to nant
I would prefer to discuss it there.

If not, then I could create this issue also. Thanks so far.

Dominik

--
The answer to the great question of life,
the universe and everything is 42 (Douglas Adams)

Re: Force use of original .Net 4.0 when .Net 4.5 is installed

Oskar Berggren
I've created it:
https://github.com/nant/nant/issues/78

I discovered this while working to bring NHibernate to .Net 4.

/Oskar