Announcing NAnt 0.91 Alpha1

Ryan Boggs-2
Announcing NAnt 0.91 Alpha1
We are proud to announce the first alpha release of NAnt 0.91, the
first official release with .NET 4.0 support.

The primary goal for this release is to improve support for .NET 4.0.
Please give this release a test and report any NAnt core specific bugs
back along with examples as soon as you can.

This release focuses on extending our already strong support for
multiple target frameworks, bringing improved flexibility and
performance.  A number of outstanding issues have been fixed as well.

A roadmap has been created to help illustrate the current release
plan.  Please note that this roadmap is a work in progress and is
subject to change depending on feature priorities, issues, and
developer's comfort level with the release:
https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/nant/index.php?title=Roadmap

Binary and source distributions are available for immediate download from:

The CVS tag for NAnt 0.91Alpha1 is:
rel-0-91-alpha1

Instruction for checking out sources from CVS are available here:
http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=31650

Discussion of NAnt occurs on the mailing list at
[hidden email].

Bugs can be reported using the Bug Tracker at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nant.

For more detailed progress on the inner workings of NAnt, check out
the NAnt Blog at https://sourceforge.net/apps/wordpress/nant/

About NAnt:
NAnt is a free .NET build tool, allowing applications to be built
targeting both Microsoft .NET and Mono while supporting both Windows
and Linux platforms.

Check the NAnt homepage for additional info at http://nant.sourceforge.net.

Thanks,
Ryan

Re: Announcing NAnt 0.91 Alpha1

Martin Aliger
Hi NAnters,

looking into new 0.91 sources and I got there few patches locally which do
not make it into head yet. I hope I sent all of them to list (maybe some
only to Gert?).

Anyway - here are few minor ones (out of NAnt.MSBuild):

1) datetime_functions.patch
It just AIDS new function to allow datetime formatting (tostring with format
passed in)

2) element.patch
To support better error messages somewhere in Solution task I need to read
Location from non-descendant class. This allows read to public (write to
protected).

3) VSNet.patch
Adds VS2008 and VS2010. Plus minor change for Berger debugging on 2.0/4.

4) vcprojs
I'm no expert to C++ builds, but I got some code changes around to support
vcproj from VS2005 and VS2008 (need some work for VS2010).

Changes around: UsePrecompiledHeader, exception handling /EHS, managed
extenstions. Short changes, nothing big.

Martin Aliger

[...]

datetime_functions.patch (1K) Download Attachment
element.patch (771 bytes) Download Attachment
vsnet.patch (2K) Download Attachment
vcprojs.patch (7K) Download Attachment

Re: Announcing NAnt 0.91 Alpha1

Martin Aliger
Small issue:

nant-0.91-alpha1\tests\NAnt.Core\Util\ConsoleWriter.cs(48,32): error CS0234:
The type or namespace name 'OutputEncoding' does not exist in the namespace
'Tests.NAnt.Console' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Compiling in VS2010 (so csc from net4). Looks like its more strict then
previous compilers (or noone really use NET_2_0 on tests?).

This change helps:

Old code:

        static Encoding ConsoleEncoding {
            get {
#if NET_2_0
                return Console.OutputEncoding;
#else
                return Encoding.Default;
#endif
            }

New Code:
        static Encoding ConsoleEncoding {
            get {
#if NET_2_0
                return System.Console.OutputEncoding;
#else
                return Encoding.Default;
#endif
            }
        }

Ing. Martin Aliger
[hidden email]

Re: Announcing NAnt 0.91 Alpha1

Martin Aliger
Ryan,

Please add LocateSdkTask.cs into NAnt.Win32.csproj.

Maybe it will save someones hour of life. It took an hour to me right now
wondering, why I cant even run nant -t:net-4.0 :-)

As side note:
All csprojs are now VS2003 projects. I dont even have this anymore. Should
we convert those to some of newer (2005,2008,2010) ?

Ing. Martin Aliger
[hidden email]

Re: Announcing NAnt 0.91 Alpha1

drieseng
Administrator
Hey Martin,

I added the missing file to NAnt.Win32.csproj.
I don't immediately see an advantage to converting our project file as long
as VS supports converting them to the version you're using.

Thanks,

Gert

Re: Announcing NAnt 0.91 Alpha1

Martin Aliger
Good news everyone!

I just compiled first mine project using <solution> into working net-4.0
assembly. Project was saved in VS2010 and I was all hosting nant on net-4.0,
using toolsversion="4.0" and targeting -t:net-4.0. Other combinations are
not working so easily...

More tommorow. Need some sleep :)

Martin Aliger

Re: Announcing NAnt 0.91 Alpha1

drieseng
Administrator
Hey Martin,

I haven't had much time to review your patches yet, but here are a few
comments:

1) datetime_functions.patch

We now support overloaded functions, so I'd prefer this addition to be an
overload for to-string.
Problem is that we need to add support for overload in the doc generation.
I'm not yet sure what approach we need to take there.

2) element.patch

I understand the need, but we should avoid API changes.
Needs further discussion.

3) VSNet.patch

* ProjectBase.cs
change is ok to commit (although you may consider this an API change as
well).

* SolutionBase.cs
do you have an example where you needed this ?
the change is incomplete, as you don't need the try/catch in NET_2_0.
If this change is necessary, then we need to refactor this out and apply it
to other code paths (even within SolutionBase).

4) vcprojs.patch
changes look ok, but would it be possible to provide a small VS project for
each change that fails without this patch ?

Thanks!

Gert