Announcing NAnt 0.90-beta1

Ryan Boggs-2
Announcing NAnt 0.90-beta1

The first beta of NAnt 0.90 has been released.  Please continue to
test and report bugs so we can make the final release of 0.90 the best
it can be.

A roadmap has been created to help illustrate the current release
plan.  Please note that this roadmap is a work in progress and is
subject to change depending on feature priorities, issues, and
developer's comfort level with the release:
https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/nant/index.php?title=Roadmap

This release focuses on extending our already strong support for
multiple target frameworks, bringing improved flexibility and
performance.  A number of outstanding issues have been fixed as well.

Binary and source distributions are available for immediate download from:

The CVS tag for NAnt 0.90 Beta1 is:
rel-0-90-beta1

Instruction for checking out sources from CVS are available here:
http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=31650

Discussion of NAnt occurs on the mailing list at
[hidden email].

Bugs can be reported using the Bug Tracker at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nant.

About NAnt:
NAnt is a free .NET build tool, allowing applications to be built
targeting both Microsoft .NET and Mono while supporting both Windows
and Linux platforms.

Check the NAnt homepage for additional info at http://nant.sourceforge.net.

Thanks,
Ryan

Re: Announcing NAnt 0.90-beta1

mgainty
Hi Ryan

any suggestion as to where i can obtain mcs?

$ make
mkdir -p bootstrap
cp -R lib/ bootstrap/lib
# Mono loads log4net before privatebinpath is set-up, so we need this in the sam
e directory
# as NAnt.exe
cp lib/common/neutral/log4net.dll bootstrap
cp src/NAnt.Console/App.config bootstrap/NAnt.exe.config
mcs -target:exe -define:MONO -out:bootstrap\\NAnt.exe -r:bootstrap\\log4net.dll
\
                -recurse:src\\NAnt.Console\\*.cs src\\CommonAssemblyInfo.cs
/bin/sh: mcs: command not found

?
Thanks!
Martin Gainty
Note de déni et de confidentialité

> Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 17:34:49 -0700
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> Subject: [NAnt-users] Announcing NAnt 0.90-beta1
>
> Announcing NAnt 0.90-beta1
>
> The first beta of NAnt 0.90 has been released. Please continue to
> test and report bugs so we can make the final release of 0.90 the best
> it can be.
>
> A roadmap has been created to help illustrate the current release
> plan. Please note that this roadmap is a work in progress and is
> subject to change depending on feature priorities, issues, and
> developer's comfort level with the release:
> https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/nant/index.php?title=Roadmap
>
> This release focuses on extending our already strong support for
> multiple target frameworks, bringing improved flexibility and
> performance. A number of outstanding issues have been fixed as well.
>
> Binary and source distributions are available for immediate download from:
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=31650
>
> The CVS tag for NAnt 0.90 Beta1 is:
> rel-0-90-beta1
>
> Instruction for checking out sources from CVS are available here:
> http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=31650
>
> Discussion of NAnt occurs on the mailing list at
> [hidden email].
>
> Bugs can be reported using the Bug Tracker at
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/nant.
>
> About NAnt:
> NAnt is a free .NET build tool, allowing applications to be built
> targeting both Microsoft .NET and Mono while supporting both Windows
> and Linux platforms.
>
> Check the NAnt homepage for additional info at http://nant.sourceforge.net.
>
> Thanks,
> Ryan

Re: Announcing NAnt 0.90-beta1

Ryan Boggs-2
Hey Martin,

What Linux are you running?

Thanks,
Ryan

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Martin Gainty <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> multiple target frameworks, bringing improved flexibility and
>> performance. A number of outstanding issues have been fixed as well.
>>
>> Binary and source distributions are available for immediate download from:
>> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=31650
>>
>> The CVS tag for NAnt 0.90 Beta1 is:
>> rel-0-90-beta1
>>
>> Instruction for checking out sources from CVS are available here:
>> http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=31650
>>
>> Discussion of NAnt occurs on the mailing list at
>> [hidden email].
>>
>> Bugs can be reported using the Bug Tracker at
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/nant.
>>
>> About NAnt:
>> NAnt is a free .NET build tool, allowing applications to be built
>> targeting both Microsoft .NET and Mono while supporting both Windows
>> and Linux platforms.
>>
>> Check the NAnt homepage for additional info at

Re: [nant-dev] Announcing NAnt 0.90-beta1

drieseng
Administrator
Ryan,

The Mono team is dropping support for .NET Framework 1.x, hence mcs is no
longer available.
I believe Mono 2.6.x is the last release to support .NET 1.x.

We'll just need to check what version of Mono is available, or just check
for the compiler that is available (1.x: mcs, 2.x: gmcs, 4.x: dmcs).
Good thing NAnt build authors to not have to deal with this.

Martin, please submit a bug report for this.

Gert

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Martin Gainty <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Ryan
>
> any suggestion as to where i can obtain mcs?
>
> $ make
> mkdir -p bootstrap
> cp -R lib/ bootstrap/lib
> # Mono loads log4net before privatebinpath is set-up, so we need this in
the
> sam
> e directory
> # as NAnt.exe
> cp lib/common/neutral/log4net.dll bootstrap
> cp src/NAnt.Console/App.config bootstrap/NAnt.exe.config
> mcs -target:exe -define:MONO -out:bootstrap\\NAnt.exe
> -r:bootstrap\\log4net.dll
> \
>                 -recurse:src\\NAnt.Console\\*.cs
src\\CommonAssemblyInfo.cs

> /bin/sh: mcs: command not found
>
> ?
> Thanks!
> Martin Gainty
> Note de déni et de confidentialité

> destinataire prévu, nous te demandons avec bonté que pour satisfaire
> informez l'expéditeur. N'importe quelle diffusion non autorisée ou la
copie

> de ceci est interdite. Ce message sert à l'information seulement et n'aura
> pas n'importe quel effet légalement obligatoire. Étant donné que les email
> peuvent facilement être sujets à la manipulation, nous ne pouvons accepter
> aucune responsabilité pour le contenu fourni.
>

>> Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 17:34:49 -0700
>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: [hidden email];
>> [hidden email]; [hidden email]
>> Subject: [NAnt-users] Announcing NAnt 0.90-beta1
>>
>> Announcing NAnt 0.90-beta1
>>
>> The first beta of NAnt 0.90 has been released. Please continue to
>> test and report bugs so we can make the final release of 0.90 the best
>> it can be.
>>
>> A roadmap has been created to help illustrate the current release
>> plan. Please note that this roadmap is a work in progress and is
>> subject to change depending on feature priorities, issues, and
>> developer's comfort level with the release:
>> https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/nant/index.php?title=Roadmap
>>
>> This release focuses on extending our already strong support for
>> multiple target frameworks, bringing improved flexibility and
>> performance. A number of outstanding issues have been fixed as well.
>>
>> Binary and source distributions are available for immediate download
from:

>> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=31650
>>
>> The CVS tag for NAnt 0.90 Beta1 is:
>> rel-0-90-beta1
>>
>> Instruction for checking out sources from CVS are available here:
>> http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=31650
>>
>> Discussion of NAnt occurs on the mailing list at
>> [hidden email].
>>
>> Bugs can be reported using the Bug Tracker at
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/nant.
>>
>> About NAnt:
>> NAnt is a free .NET build tool, allowing applications to be built
>> targeting both Microsoft .NET and Mono while supporting both Windows
>> and Linux platforms.
>>
>> Check the NAnt homepage for additional info at
>> http://nant.sourceforge.net.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ryan

>> Download Intel&#174; Parallel Studio Eval
>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-sw-dev
>
> ________________________________
inbox.
> Learn more.

20:31:00

Re: [nant-dev] Announcing NAnt 0.90-beta1

Ryan Boggs-2
Hi Gert,

Mono may be dropping support for mcs soon but that doesn't mean that
Marty's issue isn't fixable.  I've ran into this issue in the past and
resolving it is as simple as installing an additional Mono package.
However, since package setup differs between Linux projects, I need to
know which Linux Marty is running before I can recommend the correct
package to install.

Besides, if he is running into this error for mcs, chances are he
doesn't have any other compilers installed either.

Thanks,
Ryan

On Apr 18, 2010, at 12:28 AM, "Gert Driesen" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Ryan,
>
> The Mono team is dropping support for .NET Framework 1.x, hence mcs
> is no
> longer available.
> I believe Mono 2.6.x is the last release to support .NET 1.x.
>
> We'll just need to check what version of Mono is available, or just
> check
> for the compiler that is available (1.x: mcs, 2.x: gmcs, 4.x: dmcs).
> Good thing NAnt build authors to not have to deal with this.
>
> Martin, please submit a bug report for this.
>
> Gert

will do gert..could you provide a link where i can submit this bug?

bedankt,
Martin
Jogi és Bizalmassági kinyilatkoztatás/Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung/Note de déni et de confidentialité

Ez az üzenet bizalmas.  Ha nem ön az akinek szánva volt, akkor kérjük, hogy jelentse azt nekünk vissza. Semmiféle továbbítása vagy másolatának készítése nem megengedett.  Ez az üzenet csak ismeret cserét szolgál és semmiféle jogi alkalmazhatósága sincs.  Mivel az electronikus üzenetek könnyen megváltoztathatóak, ezért minket semmi felelöség nem terhelhet ezen üzenet tartalma miatt.

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email]; [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> Subject: RE: [nant-dev] [NAnt-users] Announcing NAnt 0.90-beta1
> Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 09:28:40 +0200
>
> Ryan,
>
> The Mono team is dropping support for .NET Framework 1.x, hence mcs is no
> longer available.
> I believe Mono 2.6.x is the last release to support .NET 1.x.
>
> We'll just need to check what version of Mono is available, or just check
> for the compiler that is available (1.x: mcs, 2.x: gmcs, 4.x: dmcs).
> Good thing NAnt build authors to not have to deal with this.
>
> Martin, please submit a bug report for this.
>
> Gert

Before going through the trouble of opening up a bug report, could you
try the following command(s) please?  Forgive me but since I don't
know what Linux you are running, I am just going to list the most
common ones.

OpenSUSE:
(sudo) zypper install mono-complete

Ubuntu:
(sudo) aptitude install mono-complete

More details can be found in the NAnt Wiki:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/nant/index.php?title=Development_Guide

In case anyone is wondering, the main cause of this kind of error on a
Linux system is that the distro you are running has separated the mono
essentials from the mono compilers to reduce installation overhead
(because you usually don't need the compilers to run precompiled
applications on mono).  Usually installing a Mono-devel type package
will resolve this but mono-complete will get everything in one shot
without the guess work.  Just make sure you don't depend your
package(s) on the mono-complete package.

If installing mono-complete doesn't fix this issue, then you should
open a bug report over at sourceforge.net.

Thanks,
Ryan

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Martin Gainty <[hidden email]> wrote:

> will do gert..could you provide a link where i can submit this bug?
>
> bedankt,
> Martin
> Jogi és Bizalmassági kinyilatkoztatás/Verzicht und
> Vertraulichkeitanmerkung/Note de déni et de confidentialité
>
> Ez az üzenet bizalmas.  Ha nem ön az akinek szánva volt, akkor kérjük, hogy
> jelentse azt nekünk vissza. Semmiféle továbbítása vagy másolatának készítése
> nem megengedett.  Ez az üzenet csak ismeret cserét szolgál és semmiféle jogi
> alkalmazhatósága sincs.  Mivel az electronikus üzenetek könnyen
> megváltoztathatóak, ezért minket semmi felelöség nem terhelhet ezen üzenet
> tartalma miatt.

> destinataire prévu, nous te demandons avec bonté que pour satisfaire
> informez l'expéditeur. N'importe quelle diffusion non autorisée ou la copie
> de ceci est interdite. Ce message sert à l'information seulement et n'aura
> pas n'importe quel effet légalement obligatoire. Étant donné que les email
> peuvent facilement être sujets à la manipulation, nous ne pouvons accepter
> aucune responsabilité pour le contenu fourni.
>

>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
>> CC: [hidden email];
>> [hidden email]; [hidden email]
>> Subject: RE: [nant-dev] [NAnt-users] Announcing NAnt 0.90-beta1
>> Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 09:28:40 +0200
>>
>> Ryan,
>>
>> The Mono team is dropping support for .NET Framework 1.x, hence mcs is no
>> longer available.
>> I believe Mono 2.6.x is the last release to support .NET 1.x.
>>
>> We'll just need to check what version of Mono is available, or just check
>> for the compiler that is available (1.x: mcs, 2.x: gmcs, 4.x: dmcs).
>> Good thing NAnt build authors to not have to deal with this.
>>
>> Martin, please submit a bug report for this.
>>
>> Gert

Hey Ryan,

Thanks for getting to the bottom of this.
Regardless of whether this'll fix the problem for Martin, we need to improve
our makefile to support other (mono) compilers beside mcs.
Can you add this to our roadmap ?

Thanks!

Gert

> [...]

> peuvent facilement être sujets à la manipulation, nous ne pouvons accepter
> aucune responsabilité pour le contenu fourni.
>

>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
>> CC: [hidden email];
>> [hidden email]; [hidden email]
>> Subject: RE: [nant-dev] [NAnt-users] Announcing NAnt 0.90-beta1
>> Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 09:28:40 +0200
>>
>> Ryan,
>>
>> The Mono team is dropping support for .NET Framework 1.x, hence mcs is no
>> longer available.
>> I believe Mono 2.6.x is the last release to support .NET 1.x.
>>
>> We'll just need to check what version of Mono is available, or just check
>> for the compiler that is available (1.x: mcs, 2.x: gmcs, 4.x: dmcs).
>> Good thing NAnt build authors to not have to deal with this.
>>
>> Martin, please submit a bug report for this.

20:31:00

Re: [NAnt-announce] [nant-dev] Announcing NAnt 0.90-beta1

Ryan Boggs-2
Hey Gert,

Sure, we can look into that and see the best approach on our side.

Thanks,
Ryan

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Gert Driesen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Ryan,
>
> Thanks for getting to the bottom of this.
> Regardless of whether this'll fix the problem for Martin, we need to improve
> our makefile to support other (mono) compilers beside mcs.
> Can you add this to our roadmap ?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Gert

>>> To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]