Adding an update parameter to the <zip> task

Adding an update parameter to the <zip> task

Jerome.Duclos
Attached is a first draft of a https://github.com/nant/nant/tree/master/src/NAnt.Compression/Tasks/ZipTask.cs version allowing to append files to an existing zip archive (see http://ant.apache.org/manual/Tasks/zip.html).
Is it worth writing a unit test for it? What do you think?
/J

ZipTask.cs (22K) Download Attachment

Adding an update parameter to the <zip> task

Ryan Boggs-2
Sorry, forgot to CC list.

Thanks,
Ryan

Re: Adding an update parameter to the <zip> task

Leszek Ciesielski
Jerome,

I don't suppose you could also re-write the code to use DotNetZip
instead of SharpZipLib? :-) The reason I'm mentioning this is because
 1) DotNetZip is maintained, and SharpZipLib no longer seems to be
 2) DotNetZip supports multithreaded zip compression, which is a huge
gain for practically any machine now

Binary reference .dll size is 200k (Reduced, i.e. no self-extracting
archive creation support), so the same as SharpZipLib that NAnt
currently ships with.

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Ryan Boggs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry, forgot to CC list.
>
> Thanks,
> Ryan

Hi,

Before anything is done with dotnetzip, can someone with better license knowledge than me chime in regarding compatibility between gplv2 and ms-pl?  I don't mind upgrading libs when applicable but I don't want to get into issues regarding lib licenses.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,
Ryan

On Dec 13, 2012, at 3:04 PM, Leszek Ciesielski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jerome,
>
> I don't suppose you could also re-write the code to use DotNetZip
> instead of SharpZipLib? :-) The reason I'm mentioning this is because
> 1) DotNetZip is maintained, and SharpZipLib no longer seems to be
> 2) DotNetZip supports multithreaded zip compression, which is a huge
> gain for practically any machine now
>
> Binary reference .dll size is 200k (Reduced, i.e. no self-extracting
> archive creation support), so the same as SharpZipLib that NAnt
> currently ships with.
>
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Ryan Boggs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Sorry, forgot to CC list.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ryan

Oh my, I've missed that can of worms when I can suggesting DotNetZip.
Reading https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#ms-pl ,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-PL#Microsoft_Public_License_.28Ms-PL.29
, https://dotnetzip.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Getting-Started and a
couple of discussions on licenses.open-source.general , my
understanding is that NAnt can redistribute DotNetZip on two
conditions:

- DotNetZip is distributed as an unchanged binary
- it's marked as covered by MS-PL, not GPLv2

If my understanding is wrong, then NAnt is already in a legal problem,
since the distribution contains binary versions of NDoc and NUnit (
http://nant.sourceforge.net/license.html ) which are not provided
under the GPLv2 license (they use a GPLv2 compatible license, but the
interpretation of GPL that would prevent NAnt from using DotNetZip
requires all components to be re-licensed as GPLv2(3), which is in
conflict with the current situation).

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 11:48 PM, Ryan Boggs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Before anything is done with dotnetzip, can someone with better license knowledge than me chime in regarding compatibility between gplv2 and ms-pl?  I don't mind upgrading libs when applicable but I don't want to get into issues regarding lib licenses.
>
> Hope that makes sense.
>
> Thanks,
> Ryan
>
> On Dec 13, 2012, at 3:04 PM, Leszek Ciesielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Jerome,
>>
>> I don't suppose you could also re-write the code to use DotNetZip
>> instead of SharpZipLib? :-) The reason I'm mentioning this is because
>> 1) DotNetZip is maintained, and SharpZipLib no longer seems to be
>> 2) DotNetZip supports multithreaded zip compression, which is a huge
>> gain for practically any machine now
>>
>> Binary reference .dll size is 200k (Reduced, i.e. no self-extracting
>> archive creation support), so the same as SharpZipLib that NAnt
>> currently ships with.
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Ryan Boggs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Sorry, forgot to CC list.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ryan

Dominik Guder
Hi,

my understanding is that the use of Dotnetzip should be possible as long
as we provide it in binary form. This should be ok with Gpl2, but our
license also includes "any later" GPL which means that we also need to
take Gpl3 into account. And therefore I don't have any glue if MS-PL
fits or not.

But if I remember correctly we had some discussions regarding source of
nunit and ndoc and why we don't provide it in out repository. @Ryan Do
you remember?

Maybe we should ask Cheeso for clarification
http://www.codeplex.com/site/users/view/Cheeso

just my 2 ct.

Dominik